Analysis of the best time to post on different social media platforms
Social media is one of the perfect ways to enhance the great content you’re creating. According to studies, social media manages 2.3 billion users. Given the huge opportunity to relate with consumers, 91% of retail brands easily use two or three separate social media channels. However, it isn’t enough to just post content to such platforms whenever you feel like it. One needs to take care of the time of posting which surely acts crucial in most of the cases.
When’s the best time to publish content to social media? There’s no perfect answer to this question as different businesses seek different days and times which work best for them. In fact, timing mostly depends on the platform, the way your target audience connects with that platform, the targeted regions, goals and the content which you post. Let us analyze the top social media websites and the apt posting time linked with them.
Best Time to Post on Twitter
- Despite Twitter’s transfer to a quasi-chronological timeline, the average half-life of a Tweet isn’t that long. Based on an analysis by Wise lyrics, it is found to be 24 minutes—about four times shorter than the 90-minute half-life possessed by Facebook post.
- This fairly small window of opportunity for engagement points out that your Tweets need to get out in front of maximum eyeballs as possible—when the highest portion of your target audience is active on Twitter.
- According to HootSuite’s own data analysis of over 40,000 tweets: The apt time to post on Twitter is at 3 PM Monday to Friday.
- But again, this time window will differ depending on your audience, content strategy and location. On the other hand, The Huffington Post says, 5 PM, 12 PM, and 6 PM, are the suitable times for Retweets, whereas 12 PM and 6 PM also offer higher click-through rates.
- Kissmetrics points out that on weekdays 5 PM is the most effective time to post. Also, Hubspot provided the same conclusion spotting 12 PM and 3 PM Monday to Friday to be the best.
- You can use these times as a starting point and further test different posting schedules and analyze the results. Here are three important things to consider as you start your quest to find the best time to post:
- Location Preference: If you are aiming to reach a global audience, create a Twitter handle for different regions and use a social media management tool to operate them all using the same platform. Make sure to develop social media reports to track when you gain the most visits for each Twitter handle.
- Use the right tool: There are several tools out there that will help you find the best time to Tweet. Some of them are Hootsuite’s Auto Schedule which selects a time based on the best performance of your Tweets. You can Auto Schedule from both the Hootlet extension and dashboard.
- Know your audience: It is quite necessary to know your audience based on their age, location, and profession. Consider these factors and it will be much easier to nail down the most suitable times to post on Twitter, as well as on other social networks.
Best Time to Post on Facebook
- Getting your time right on Facebook is not that simple. This is primarily due to the complicated News Feed algorithm.
- But despite the non-chronological performance of the News Feed, there are certain times analyzed by experts which yield a higher amount of Likes, shares, comments and click-throughs.
- The best time to publish on Facebook is between 12 PM and 3 PM Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. Moreover, on Saturday and Sunday between 12 PM and 1 p.m is tagged to be the most suitable time.
- Hootsuite’s social team also spots lower engagement on the weekend, however, there is a rise in click-throughs on posts posted between 12 PM and 1 PM
- These findings are somewhat supported by Microsoft, Hubspot and Quick Sprout. All three report the time window 1 PM to 3 PM on Thursdays and Fridays are ideal posting times for Facebook.
- As always, you must test and track results with the help of engagement data collected from Facebook’s Page Insights, or different measurement tools like Hootsuite Analytics to define what works best for you.
Best Time to Post on Instagram
- On Instagram, photos and videos with maximum comments and Likes have a better opportunity of appearing on top of your followers’ home streams. Although the content no longer appears in a firmly chronological order, you still wish to post on Instagram when you have the best chance to target a large audience out of the gate.
- To do this, you need to think about your target persona and what their usual day looks like. Are they the kind of person who would visit Instagram as soon as they wake up? If so, when would be that time? Where do they reside and work? Also, consider what they do on their travels and also in their free time.
- Hootsuite has utilized this strategy to test and quantify various posting times. It was revealed that the best time to post on Instagram is from 12 PM to 1 PM during Monday to Friday.
- Here we see little agreement with the likes of Elle & Co—which says anytime Monday to Thursday except 3 PM to 4 PM—and Latergramme who states that Wednesday at 5 PM can be considered as an apt time.
- Mark, Boston-based marketing firm, suggests users prefer posting between 6 AM and 12 PM their analysis covering 1.3 million Instagram posts found that although posting volume is relatively less in the morning, people are still actively using their smartphones to regularly view their feeds.
Other Factors to Consider
When it comes to the selection of the best times to post on different social networks, you must also consider the time zones. If your target audience covers many, then that will indeed impact your results. There can be a situation when you are based in the PST time zone, but your followers are situated in the EST and GMT timezones. In such a case you might figure out that 8 AM PST proves to be the best because it targets the workday in both the separate regions.
Use the tips and tricks listed above and be assured that whatever you post on social media reach maximum people.
KartRocket has empowered 3000+ entrepreneurs, SMB’s and retailer with their online stores. It is not just a website builder platform, it’s an end to end eCommerce solution with all the features you require to create an online store, run & grow your online business.