Posterama: Kartrocket’s Store Of The Week
1. Tell us about yourself(for CEO/Owner).I am an elementary school teacher in a government school in Delhi. I come from Chandigarh and did most of my schooling there as an overzealous overachieving kid. I won a scholarship and spent two years in Singapore and a cocktail of bad marks, boredom and Shah Rukh Khan starrer Swades made me return to India to be a part of the change. I completed my graduation and took on several projects to that end before finally getting the Teach for India fellowship, and moving to Delhi to work here.
2. When and how did you start Posterama?
When I returned to India in 2012, I wanted to give my room a makeover. Given how lazy I was, decking it up with posters was the easiest way to go forward but I couldn’t find anything decent. I’ve never been the one to accept status quo and thus began Posterama in June, 2006. I was learning a bit of Photoshop on the side, so that was an added incentive. In all honesty, Posterama was never about money. It’s largely about experience. I plan to establish it as a small sustainable business and give it over to some smart chaps from a financially underprivileged community.
3. How is your business going so far(in terms of daily orders/traffic)?
This is the second iteration of Posterama. I ran a barebone model earlier in Chandigarh, which was suspended when I moved to Delhi a year ago. Realizing I had some time at hand, I decided to revive Posterama in a more professional capacity. It’s just been two weeks since I re-launched Posterama and I’m still in the process of charting out a marketing campaign. I’ve had about 500 unique visitors and received orders for close to 60 posters without any marketing as yet, so its looking good. I run Posterama as a hobby and I am very particular about looking after all aspects of the business myself, so I don’t want it to grow too big. I realize it doesn’t make much marketing sense but as I said Posterama’s all about quality.
4. What were the major challenges when you started up?
Sourcing good posters is always a lot of hard work that people normally tend to overlook. A lot of time goes into finding good posters and then editing them. Printing varies greatly across locations in terms of quality and price. I’m very obsessive about quality and I’ve often had to pay more than I made just to ensure that the final product is the best I can deliver.
5. How did you get to know Kartrocket?
I think I stumbled onto the website while looking for e-commerce solutions. India’s laws make it impossible to launch an e-store using foreign store fronts and the domestic market has very limited choices. Fortunately, I ran into Kartrocket that delivered beautiful interface options with an efficient back-end and a decent service.
6. How is your experience with Kartrocket and how likely are you to refer Kartrocket to your friends?
When I look back on it, my relationship with Kartrocket has been largely positive. If it weren’t for their executives, I would have continued to procrastinate and never launched Posterama, so I owe them thanks for that. Their service has been swift and they’ve always helped me whenever I ran into a roadblock. I’ve already recommended Kartrocket to several friends and will confidently continue to do so.